Four men arrested for illegal firearms

A 31-year-old man from Tafelsig was arrested for being in possession of 33 packets of tik, four mandrax tablets and 35 small parcels of dagga.

When the man was arrested, in Leeukop Street, on Thursday August 10, police also confiscated a 9mm pistol, one magazine and seven 9mm rounds

He faces charges of possession of a firearm without a licence, unlawful possession of ammunition and possession of drugs.

On the same day, police arrested another man illegally in possession of a firearm, this time in Westridge.

This came after police received a complaint of a shooting while they were patrolling, and on their arrival on Simonsig Street, spotted a man throwing something away.

When the police went to investigate, they discovered a 9mm Glock with a magazine containing 15, 9mm rounds.

The man was unable to produced licence for the firearm and was arrested.

Further investigation revealed that the firearm belonged to the suspect’s brother who is a traffic officer. Police are therefore also investigating a case of theft of a firearm.

On the same day, in an unrelated incident, police found a 9mm pistol and a magazine with 12, 9mm rounds in a Toyota LDV which was parked at Ionian Street, in Rocklands.

Two men, aged between 32 and 40 years old, were arrested on charges of possession of an unlicensed firearm and illegal possession of ammunition.

The Cape High Court sentenced Steve Bastiaan, 35, from Tafelsig, to 25 years for domestic violence, on Thursday August 3.

In the incident, which happened in June two years ago, Bastiaan had gouged out his wife’s eye.

When police found Belinda Bastiaan, she was lying on the floor, unconscious. Her one eye was out of the socket, the other eye covered with blood and her lower body was naked.

When the Ms Bastiaan died, after having been in a coma for almost 50 days, the initial charge of attempted murder was changed to murder.

Bastiaan had faced three counts — assault, rape and murder. He was sentenced to two years imprisonment for assault; found not-guilty of rape; and sentenced to 25 years in jail for murder. The sentences will run concurrently.

Mitchell’s Plain station commander, Brigadier Cass Goolam welcomed the sentence, particularly as it had been delivered during Women’s Month and it had been almost two years since the passing of Ms Bastiaan who died in Groote Schuur Hospital on August 7 2015.