Two fires claimed the life of a Rocklands resident and left a Lentegeur family homeless.
A 76-year-old Rocklands man died in a fire, which burned his Wendy house down in Heinkel Way, in Rocklands, on Saturday November 5, at 4.31am.
Liezl Moodie, the City of Cape Town’s Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson, said a gas leak from a portable gas cylinder is believed to be the cause of the fire.
A family of six were left homeless after their wendy house burned down in Elizabeth Street in Lentegeur on Monday November 7 at 3.22am. Ms Moodie said the cause was an electrical fault.
In both cases the City’s Disaster Risk Management unit arranged for an NGO to provide humanitarian relief in the form of food parcels, blankets, clothing and vanity packs.