Family of murdered Tafelsig woman demand answers


It’s been a year since the body of Tafelsig mother Gafsa Roberts, 60, was found dumped in a wheelie bin in her yard.

Her family and friends have not found closure and have slammed Mitchell’s Plain police, claiming they have not assisted them since March 2015.

Ms Roberts was found dead on Monday March 2 last year in Winterhoek Street, in Tafelsig.

Her only son, Shakoor Roberts, 22, who lived with her, was arrested and charged with her murder on the day Ms Roberts’ body was discovered by a resident and family members.

However, the charges were provisionally withdrawn two days later.

Ms Roberts’ daughter, Rushana Adams, is angry because she has not received feedback from SAPS since her mother was killed.

“It’s been a full year, and we haven’t received any follow-up information from the detective. We have his contact details, a case number but no information about the investigation or the case. I have been up and down to the police station,” said Ms Adams.

She claimed her brother, Shakoor, had been threatening them.

“He still lives in my mother’s house currently,” said Ms Adams.

She said she still feels uneasy and is having sleepless nights knowing that the suspect is roaming the streets.

Ms Adams said she visited the Mitchell’s Plain police station on Sunday February 21, but got no assistance.

“I went to the station for help, but the officers laughed at me when I told them about my issue. I told them about the threats. After all that effort, I then left because they were unhelpful,” she said.

A close friend of Ms Roberts, Ashasha Fakir, said she is still emotional about the killing. She is appealing to SAPS to look into the case and help the family.

“I miss her every day. She was my best friend, I can’t believe that this happened to her. Why would the murderer do it? She was an old, sweet and friendly woman. We want justice.

“Ms Roberts was a community person and residents are still asking what happend to the case. We want answers,” she said.

Plainsman reported last year that Tafelsig residents who took to the streets to protest that charges against Shakoor had been provisionally withdrawn. They set tyres alight and burned debris. In Winterhoek Street and Kilomanjaro Road, hundreds of people were seen torching tyres and fuelling the blaze with rubble.

Mitchell’s Plain police spokesperson, Sergeant Jerome Voegt said the investigation into the killing is still ongoing, and that charges against the suspect had only been provisionally withdrawn. He did not want to confirm the suspect was Shakoor.

“At this stage the investigation will be finalised shortly and the matter will be placed back on the court roll. We are not in a position to comment any further as the investigation is ongoing.

He said Ms Adams should report her complaints about poor service from police to SAPS.