Baby injured in Eastridge shooting

Mandrax found in Westridge.

An eight-month-old baby was shot in the foot in Eastridge on Friday May 17, at 10.20am.

Three men, aged 40, 41 and 42, had been standing on the corner of Hartebees and Gazelle streets, opposite the tuck shop, said Mitchell’s Plain spokesman Captain Ian Williams. One of the men, a relative of the eight-month-old, had been holding her, when three gunmen opened fire on them.

They all sustained gun shot wounds and were taken to hospital by a private vehicle.

Captain Williams said, the baby had been shot in her left foot. The 40-year-old had been shot in his left foot; the 41-year-old, in his lower back and left shoulder; and the 42-year-old, was shot in his right foot.

Provincial health department spokesman, Mark Van Der Heever, said a baby matching the description had been admitted to hospital on Friday and was currently in a stable condition. He could not disclose the name of the hospital as it may put the child in danger.

Police suspect the shooting was gang-related.

Captain Williams said the case was still under investigation and no-one had been arrested.

On Tuesday May 14, an 18-year-old was shot dead in Olive Street, Eastridge, at 8.45am.

Captain Williams said the 18-year-old had been standing in the road, when two men approached him and opened fire. No-one has been arrested, and police are investigating a case of murder.

In a separate incident on the same day, a 17-year-old, survived being shot in the back in Tafelsig.

When police arrived on the scene, on the corner of Piketberg and Pakhuis streets, the boy had already been taken to hospital.

Police say, the boy had allegedly been shot at from a passing white Golf car.

No-one has been arrested and the motive for the incident is gang-related. Police are investigating a case of attempted murder.

The body of a man believed to be between the ages of 25 and 30, was found in the Town Centre.

When police were called to the scene on Wednesday May 15, at 2.30am, they found the body on the steps of a building in Seventh Avenue, Town Centre.

The man had been stabbed multiple times in his head and body.

No-one has been arrested, and the possible motive for the murder is robbery.

Anyone with information on these cases can contact the investigating officer, Detective Sergeant Randal Davids, of Mitchell’s Plain Serious and Violent Crimes Unit, at 082 777 8076.

On Sunday May 19 at 5.20am, Metro Police found a man, 36, with an imitation glock pistol at the corner of Sneeukop and Swartberg streets, Tafelsig.

Police arrested the man who faces a charge of possession of an imitation firearm. He appeared in court on Monday May 20.

On the same day at 5pm, police arrested a 21-year-old gang member in Banhoek Street, Tafelsig, with a 7.65mm black pistol, with the serial number 549648, one magazine and one 7.65m live round. He faces a charge of possession of firearm and ammunition. He appeared in court on Monday May 20.

Also on Friday May 17 at 2pm, Metro police arrested a 17-year-old boy at Wolfgat Nature Reserve for being in possession of an imitation firearm with the serial number TRD 20104336.

He is due to appear in court on Monday May 27.

In another incident, Mitchell’s Plain police, responding to a tip-off, arrested a man, 34, for being in possession of 60 mandrax tablets, in Westridge.

Police were made aware of drugs being sold at a house in Harvester Way, Westridge. On Monday May 13, at 3.30pm, police searched the man and found the drugs.

On the same day at 7.30am, Mitchell’s Plain police found a stolen vehicle inn Symphony Way, Town Centre.

The dark blue VW Golf, with registration CA 48365, had been stolen in Cape Town. Police arrested a man, 24, and he faces a charge of possession of a stolen motor vehicle.

On Friday April 26, a man was sentenced to six years after posing as a CEO of a fake motor vehicle company.

Washfie Louis, 30, from Lentegeur, would buy and sell motor vehicles under the false company he had created.

He would take cars from his clients, pretending to deposit money into their bank accounts.

The cheques he deposited would be dishonoured by the banks as the account was empty. Meanchile Mr Louis would sell the vehicle elsewhere.

Mr Louis was sentenced at the Mitchell’s Plain Magistrates Court after being convicted of eight counts of fraud. He had initially faced 13 counts but the state attorney withdrew the other five.