It’s all systems go for the annual Tour d’ Plain which will hit the streets of Khayelitsha and Mitchell’s Plain on Sunday May 1.
Billed as the biggest community cycling event, the second edition of Tour d’Plain will start at Lentegeur Psychiatric Hospital and finish at the Strandfontein Pavilion.
If last year’s event, which attracted a fairly sizeable number of participants, is anything to go by, then cycling fans should brace for a bumper race.
There’ll be a number of road closures along the route from 5am until 1pm. Among these are:
* Highlands Drive in both directions, between Crassula and AZ Berman
* Highlands Drive westbound between AZ Berman and Eisleben
* Eisleben Drive southbound between Highlands and Morgenster
* Morgenster Road westbound between Eisleben and Jakes Gerwel
* Jakes Gerwel (Vanguard Drive) southbound between Morgenster and Wespoort
* Wespoort Drive eastbound between Jakes Gerwel and AZ Berman
* AZ Berman Drive southbound between Wespoort and Spine Road
* AZ Berman Drive southbound between Wespoort and Morgenster
* Spine Road westbound between AZ Berman and Eisleben
* Spine Road eastbound between Swartklip and Mew Way
* Eisleben Road southbound between Spine Road and Baden Powell Drive
* Swartklip Road, southbound, between Morgenster and Spine;
* Mew Way in both directions, between Spine and Pama roads;
* Mew Way in both directions, between Oscar Mpetha and Baden Powell;
* Pama Road in both directions, between Mew Way and Lwandle.
* Lwandle Road – both directions, between Pama and Spine;
* Lwandle Road in both directions;
* Walter Sisulu Road, southbound and Steve Biko Road in both directions between Walter Sisulu and Govan Mbeki.
Other road closures include sections of Highlands Drive, in Mitchell’s Plain, AZ Berman, Spine Road and Baden Powell Drive.
The two-day cycle festival will include an indoor exhibition, live stage performances, food stalls, kid’s entertainment, carnival rides, great fun for the entire family and prizes to be won valued at more than R300 000.
* Call 021 376 0217 or 084 526 9006 or 079 928 9077 or visit www.tourdplain.co.za if you would like to book a stall.