Wendy house fire leaves baby ill, six homeless

Three-month-old baby Zhaynay Bezuidenhout has recovered after she suffered smoke inhalation from a fire in Rhaboksberg Street, Tafelsig, on the night of Tuesday May 31.

Her mother, Jenay Bezuidenhout, said little Zhaynay had battled a lung infection for a week after a wendy house caught fire a few doors down from her home.

“Zhaynay was in the house with her aunt when the incident happened. There was smoke all over the place, and we were very worried. My baby was then rushed into the ambalance and we were treated.

“I am so happy that my baby survived and is recovering well. I hope that the family of the wendy house is doing fine,” said Ms Bezuidenhout.

Fire department spokeswoman Liezl Moodie said firefighters from Khayelitsha and Mitchell’s Plain had responded to the fire.

Caused by a burning candle, it destroyed two wendy houses and damaged another, leaving six people homeless.