Residents object to plans for development in Capri Way

The community of Strandfontein at the monthly meeting on Thursday February 6.

Strandfontein residents are objecting to an application for the rezoning, subdivision, permanent departures and the approval of a plan for the development of a site in Capri Way.

At a recent community meeting held at the Refuge Fellowship Church in Bayview, the residents said rather than new developments, they wanted improved services in the area, and existing sub-standard developments to be repaired.

The application for the rezoning for erf 47585 which is in Capri Way in San Remo was displayed on the site on Tuesday January 28.

Mario Oostendurp, chairman of the Strandfontein Residents’ and Ratepayers’ Association, said a private developer had submitted a rezoning application for the area, which is currently zoned for community facilities, to allow for a residential development.

“Over the past few days we have had a number of concerns and objections regarding the rezoning and proposed housing development in San Remo, with scores of residents voicing their concerns about the effects the proposed new developments will have on the area. The main areas of concern have been whether or not the existing infrastructure and resources would be adequate to meet the extra demand,” he said.

“The development of the land is inevitable but if managed correctly the needs and concerns of all parties have to be met,” Mr Oostendurp added.

“Planning in Cape Town is a dialogue between developers and local authority planners, with community groups, concerned bodies and individuals being informed at the last minute – struggling to add their point of view and often treated with contempt and disregarded by officials.”

Sub-council 23 chairperson and Ward 43 councillor, Elton Jansen, has opposed the application and submitted an objection to the Municipal Planning Tribunal.

“No previous public participation with myself or the community was done regarding this proposed development. This is the first word that we hear about this development and according to this application submitted it seeks approval for street names, approval of site development plan, sub-division for 262 single residential erven and departure for double storey dwellings. No public participation was done prior to this application,” he said.

“This development will impact the San Remo, Bayview and Greater Strandfontein area directly. They should have been consulted from the very beginning and this was not done. Erf 47585 was set aside for community facilities and with the lack thereof in this immediate vicinity of San Remo and Bayview should be kept for that purpose,” said Mr Jansen.

Strandfontein resident Charles Harris said the community needed to be consulted before any development took place. “It’s disrespectful that the community was not consulted first. The closing date for objections makes it almost impossible to meet again and talk about it in this setting,” he said.

The closing date for objections is Monday March 2 but Mr Oosterndurp felt this didn’t give people enough time, given that they
were only informed about the rezoning application on Tuesday January 28.

Also raised at the meeting was the plan to build 5 000 houses on erf 1212 in Camp Road in Strandfontein, which Mr Jansen said had not been communicated to the community or him.

“We need to know the logistics and what this is all about. If this is not communicated then boxes are being ticked and ideas are being thrown around without consulting those who will be directly affected,” Mr Oostendurp said.

And Mr Jansen added that there was no information at the moment on who would benefit from this development or how many houses were set to be built.

When approached for comment, Sub-council 23 manager Raphael Martin said it was “the very first time” that he or his office had been made aware of the Strandfontein rezoning application. “It needs to, however, be noted that there is due date for comments, so I would encourage all and sundry to pen their objections so as not to miss that date. We must bear in mind that in any process, objections are weighed to validity, credibility and technical support.”

On the Camp Road proposal, he noted that while they were aware of it, “all other issues will be addressed by the Project Steering Committee which will be established by stakeholders”.

“It will be here where concept designs, number of dwellings as well as the issue of contractual opportunities will be discussed and finalised,” he said.

Plainsman also contacted the City of Cape Town’s media office requesting additional information but they did not respond by the time this edition went to print.

If you would like to object to
the developments, email Strandfontein Residents’ and Ratepayers’ Association at 393residentsassociation@gmail.com for more information.