Former members of Khoisan Kingdom And All People (KKAAP) are determined to get retribution, claiming they were promised jobs in the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), which never materialised.
According to the former members of the KKAAP, who are in possession of the organisation’s register and other documents, there are 5 000 people on the register, 2 000 of them from Mitchell’s Plain. The other residents are from Hanover Park, Bonteheuwel, Manenberg, Elsies River, Eerste River, Grassy Park and Paarl.
The man who goes by the name Lieutenant General Jan Alexander claims to be the head of the Western Cape Military Wing of the KKAAP. The KKAAP, a political party – with a military wing and the “traditional house” – was established in 2010 under the leadership of Jack Moreki.
It established itself in the Western Cape in August 2012.
While Mr Moreki denies any wrongdoing by the KKAAP, the SANDF has told the Plainsman no integration into the SANDF is being planned.
Retired policeman, Keith Figg, from Woodlands, said members had to pay between R300 and R850 to sign up, with Mr Alexander promising he would integrate them into the army.
He said “normal” residents paid R300, while those who were employed or formally employed by state entities, paid R850.
Mr Figg said Mr Alexander managed the finances and recruitment in the Western Cape.
“Because the military wing is a wing of the political party, all books and finances were handed over to the political party, to General Alexander. He recruited people into the military wing with the promise of integration into the SANDF,” he said.
Mr Figg said Mr Alexander did not have a fixed address and collected money across Cape Town, making empty promises along the way.
“Since January last year, money was collected from members for T-shirts tracksuits. This was used by him and the items were never handed to the members.
“When people are recruited, they receive a Community Personal Registration (CPR) number. Later they are removed and replaced with a new recruit, with the same number. Members are removed for no reason and at the discretion of Mr Alexander. Then, ranking members are dismissed if they are in disagreement with Mr Alexander’s decisions and are expelled from the organisation,” he said.
Mr Figg added that members are removed without facing a disciplinary hearing.
Selwyn Benting from Eerste River said he paid R300 to Mr Alexander and travelled from Pretoria for meetings for almost four years. He reckons he has spent in the region of R25 000.
Mr Benting said Mr Alexander’s common law wife, was treasurer and handed all finances, including recruitment and clothing fees for the military wing.
“Then, there is Brigadier General Debbie Gordon who is in charge of receiving tracksuit money as well as collecting recruitment money. Then there is Colonel Fransman who is in charge of petty cash and Major General Coetzee, in charge of extorting donations from members,” he said.
On Saturday June 25, said Mr Figg, the Western Cape executive committee was invited to attend a meeting in Hammanskraal to investigate allegations and to decide on the way forward. But, said Mr Figg, “Mr Alexander told other members not to attend. Mr Alexander said that General Damons, a member of the SANDF was to investigate and find a solution to the problem before the head of the organisation could find out.
“Some of the members of the national executive committee said that General Alexander must be charged. This was for using the k**** word and opening a bank account for the organisation,” he said.
Clarence Williams from Wesbank, said he paid R300 for membership, R160 for the certificate and more than R1 500 travelling to meetings.
“I too was caught up in this scam, and this upsets me. How many other people are falling for this man’s promises? There are so many people who had to use their last monies while others had to borrow, in the hope of getting a job for themselves and their family members,” he said.
Mr Figg said he paid a R580 membership fee, R250 for a T-shirt, about R1 500 in donations and about R3 000 on travelling.
“In order for the problems in the Western Cape to be sorted out, the national committee would have attended a meeting in Cape Town, but they did not turn up,” he said.
“During the meeting in Hammanskraal, (Mr) Moreki acknowledge that he has been receiving money from the Western Cape to live on because they are unemployed.”
Mr Figg added that the national executive committee was to have held a meeting about Mr Alexander’s disciplinary hearing, and feedback was to have been given to the Western Cape members, but this did not happen.
Faure resident Nazeem Arnold was second in command in the Western Cape before he was dismissed by Mr Alexander.
Mr Arnold said before leaving for Hammanskraal, his house had been broken into and files relating to the KKAAP, stolen.
“I didn’t agree with his methods and I spoke up, (but) he didn’t like it and the next thing I know, I was out of the organisation.
“He would take people’s money and not put any effort into getting them jobs. He would replace people without informing them, it is so wrong,” Mr Arnold claimed.
“This man must be found and dealt with. He is stealing from hardworking people and giving them false hope,” he said.
Jonathan Manuel, from Eerste River, said Mr Alexander had broken the spirit of many members who were looking forward to being employed.
“I paid a R380 for the registration, R150 for the yellow T-shirts, R250 for the certificates and hundreds of rands on donations. People have not received any jobs which he promised would happen in a month’s time, nor have they received tracksuits and T-shirts,” he said.
When the Plainsman spoke to Mr Moreki, he denied the party wasscamming people, saying it was currently negotiating with the SANDF.
“We do not ‘promise’ people jobs and this is not a scam. People pay a fee of R350 for five years to join the party. We then put them on a database. We are currently busy with negotiations and will inform people if they have been successful,” he said.
When asked about the R850 that people are paying for membership and the extra costs, Mr Moreki said he didn’t know about Mr Alexander collecting the extra money.
Provincial police spokesperson Constable Noloyiso Rwexana confirmed that related cases of fraud, and housebreaking were being investigated
“No one has been arrested at this stage, the investigation continues,” he said.
SANDF spokesman Brigadier General Xolani Mabanga said the SANDF strongly condemned activities aimed at deliberately misleading members of the public regarding integration into the SANDF.
“Members of the public are encouraged to report such activities or anybody who solicits money from them with the promise of integration into the SANDF to the nearest South African Police Service station or SANDF base or unit,” he said.
Brigadier Mabanga said the SANDF would like to reiterate that no integration is planned by the SANDF as the integration process ended when Termination of Integration Intake Act of 2001 and the Demobilisation Amendment Act of 2001 formally and legally brought the integration process to an end on 31 December 2002.
“This was further confirmed by the North Gauteng High Court in 2012 when it handed down a judgement dismissing an application by another group who wanted to be integrated into the SANDF.
“This court ruling confirmed Termination of Integration Intake Act of 2001 and the Demobilisation Amendment Act of 2001, respectively. Any structure that promises innocent citizens integration into the SANDF is unfortunate, misleading and misguided,” he said.