Pastor recovering after fire at home

The rooms were affected by the fire.

Tafelsig pastor Thadi Mohotsi is recovering at Mitchell’s Plain Hospital after his house in Buttress Street caught on fire on Thursday October 13.

Mr Mohotsi was found curled up in the front room of the house.

There was no one else in the house that has four bedrooms, a kitchen, a lounge and bathroom.

Resident Daphne Tenggren who was at the scene, said when she smelled and saw the flames, she immediately called the ambulance.

“Myself and residents ran over and tried killing the fire with buckets of water. One of the guys who helped went in and saw Mr Mohotsi on the floor. The residents really stood together, and assisted,” she said.

The City’s Fire and Rescue Service senior firefighter, Tracey Whittaker said two fire engines, a rescue vehicle and a water tanker from Mitchell’s Plain and Khayelitsha fire stations arrived at the house at 2.32pm.

Ms Whittaker added that the single storey building had been severely damaged by fire.

“One male patient suffered third degree burn wounds, he was treated on scene and taken to hospital by Metro ambulance. The cause of the fire is still undetermined,” she said.

Another resident, Doreen Hendricks, said everything had been destroyed in the fire, including furniture, clothing and beds.

“We are hoping that he makes a full recovery. Mr Mohotsi lives with his children and wife who have lost everything. If anyone can help them, please do if you are able to,” she said.

Mr Mohotsi’s daughter, Jessica, said her father is still in hospital and hopes for the best.

“I have visited him on Monday and Tuesday, and the great news is that he is out of the coma. Thank you all for your prayers and assistance she said,” she said.

Monique Johnstone, spokesperson for the health department, said Mr Mohotsi was admitted to the Mitchell’s Plain District Hospital from Groote Schuur Hospital on Friday October 21.

He is in a stable condition and is receiving treatment for his injuries.

“He sustained eight percent burns on his upper back, lower forearm and spine with a traumatic brain injury, but is not confused. He is very thankful for the service that the hospital rendered,” she said.