Passer-by finds burned body

The crime scene on Lukkannon Drive in Strandfontein.

The body of a man was found on Lukkanon Drive in Strandfontein yesterday, Tuesday November 28.

According to police, the naked body was burnt and found lying on its back.

Philippi police spokesperson, Sergeant Lance Goliath, said the body had pieces of clothing on his arms and one sock on his left foot. He added that the body was found by a person who walked past at 8.10am.

Sergeant Goliath is urging the public to come forward with information.

The investigating officer, Detective Sergeant Hubert Noble, can be contacted at 074 358 4577, 021 370 1585 or Crime Stop at 08600 10111.

The Mitchell’s Plain Magistrate’s Court was closed for almost two hours on Monday November 20, from 9.14am, after receiving a bomb threat.

According to police spokesperson, Captain Ian Williams, the device was supposedly due to explode at J Court, also
known as juvenile court, during the day.

Captain Williams said the SAPS K-9 and Bomb Disposal units were deployed after all prisoners had been evacuated and the building cleared.

“No persons were injured and no suspicious items found. The court resumed its duties at 10.51am and no persons have been arrested. The police are investigating,” he said.

A 22-year-old was arrested for being in possession of a black Astra 357 Magnum with serial number R191247 with six 38 special rounds in Hockey Crescent in Beacon Valley on Saturday November 25, at 5.10pm.

The police noticed a man who turned around when he saw them and started running.

The officers gave chase and saw the man hiding an item behind an electric box. When they caught him, they took him back to check for the hidden item and found the weapon.

The suspect faces a charge of possession of firearm without a licence and a second charge of unlawful possession of ammunition.

A 35-year-old was arrested for housebreaking in the Town Centre on Saturday November 25, at 3am, when Mitchell’s Plain police responded to a burglar alarm at the shop.

When inspecting the scene, police found the suspect on the premises hiding in the ceiling. The man was found with eight bags of goods.

The suspect allegedly gained entry to the premises after breaking off the burglar bar and forcing a door open.

The suspect faces a charge of housebreaking and theft at a business premises. No shots were fired and no people were injured.