Man shot dead at taxi rank

A man was shot at the taxi rank in Eastridge on Friday April 27.

A 31-year-old man was shot dead at the taxi rank in the Town Centre on Freedom Day, Friday April 27.

He was reportedly to speaking to an unknown man at the taxi rank when this man pulled out a gun and shot him several times in the head and upper body, at close range.

He was declared dead on the scene by paramedics.

Police say they responded to the incident at 6.50am. Anyone with information can contact Mitchell’s Plain Police at 082 777 8076.

On Sunday April 22, police arrested four men who were stripping a vehicle in the backyard of a house, in Second Avenue, Tafelsig.

Police say they saw four men stripping a Hilux bakkie, with registration number CCC 12419. Two of the men fled when they saw the police approaching while two others jumped into a Nissan bakkie with registration CEY 22919.

Police gave chase, and arrested the men in the bakkie.

The two who fled on foot were arrested the following day.

Police say the men have been linked to a Stillbaai Farm murder and robbery on Monday April 16.

On that day a 63-year-old woman was shot dead by five armed men at a braai on a farm outside the coastal town.

The men, who were wearing balaclavas and overalls, took cash to the value of R40 000, a pistol, a shotgun, two rifles and took a Toyota bakkie.

The men arrested last weekend face charges of possession of a hijacked vehicle and illegal possession of illegal firearms and ammunition.

Last Friday and Saturday two men were arrested for illegal weapons.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on Friday April 27 for illegal possession of a firearm.

Mitchell’s Plain police were patrolling in Irene Street, Tafelsig, when they spotted two men sitting in a Renault Sandero.

As the officers approached the vehicle, both men jumped out and fled. Police gave chase and caught one of the men.

He was arrested for being in possession of a 9mm Pietro Beretta pistol with six live rounds of ammunition, which were found inside the vehicle.

On Saturday April 28, police arrested a 23-year-old man for possession of an illegal firearm in Eastridge.

Police were patrolling when a man exiting a house in Squirrel Street, made an about turn as he spotted the police. The officers searched him and they found a .38 calibre Taurus revolver with six live rounds of ammunition.

Both men appeared in the Mitchell’s Plain Magistrate’s Court on charges relating to the possession of unlicensed firearms
and ammunition, on Monday April 30.