Gang member Ralph Stanfield, 35, was arrested after he alledgedly intimidated and threatened a police officer, and will appear in the Mitchell’s Plain Magistrate’s Court on charges of intimidation.
In other crime news a total of 453 suspects were arrested for various crimes at the eight stations in the Mitchell’s Plain cluster, which includes Mitchell’s Plain, Lentegeur, Strandfontein, Steenberg, Athlone, Grassy Park, Philippi and Lansdowne police stations.
A total of 196 people were arrested and 48 houses in the cluster were searched during operations focused on drug-related crimes. Drugs seized included tik, heroin, mandrax and dagga.
Officers based at stations in the cluster, confiscated three firearms and arrested six people for the possession of illegal firearms, ammunition and possession of a prohibited firearm.
Three hijacked vehicles were recovered and three roadblocks were held in Mitchell’s Plain, with 21 fines to the value of R19 100, issued.
* On Monday March 21, two men were shot, with one dying after being hit in the neck and chest and the other being wounded. The incident took place at 8.30pm on an open field in Sydney Taylor Street, Woodlands, and according to police, was gang-related.
The Lentegeur Crime Prevention Unit received information that the suspects were driving a white golf with four occupants inside. They followed up the information and found the white golf with four people in Wolf Kibel Street, Woodlands.
The vehicle was stopped and searched and two 9mm firearms were found inside the vehicle. The four suspects were arrested and were between the ages of 22 and 35.
* Mitchell’s Plain police secured the successful prosecution of Patrick Jessman, 20, for being in possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition recently.
He was sentenced to six years imprisonment, of which two years are wholly suspended for five years – on condition that the accused is not convicted of possession of firearm during period of suspension. Jessman had been arrested in Echo Street, Tafelsig, in December 2014, when police were conducting a stop and search operation.
The firearm found on him was found to have been stolen in Milnerton.
* On Thursday March 24, at 8.45am, two men were arrested in Swartklip Road, Lentegeur, for being in possession of a firearm, the serial number of which had been filed off.
The two will appear in Mitchell’s Plain Magistrate’s Court on charges of possession of an unlicensed firearm, two counts of possession of prohibited firearms and three charges of possession of ammunition.
* A 36-year-old man was arrested for being in possession of 14, 9mm rounds, one R4 cartridge, a 9mm firearm with magazine with 14 rounds and a second 9mm magazine with 15, 9mm rounds at a house in Olifantshoek Street, Tafelsig, on Sunday March 27, at 5.30pm.
He was arrested on a charge of altering or erasing or tampering with a serial number in order to change the identity of the firearm.
* A man, aged 35, was arrested for being in possession of a black Protector shotgun at a house in Erica Way, Tafelsig, on Sunday March 27 at 4.20pm. The man will be charged for being in possession of a firearm without a licence.
Anyone with information on crime can send an SMS to 35395, or call 1011 or Crime Stop at 08600 10111. All information will be treated as highly confidential.