Mitchell’s Plain police arrested 305 people for various crimes including the possession of illegal guns, ammunition and drugs, last week. Police also conducted 26 tracing operations focusing on wanted suspects, which led to the arrest of 100 people.
A total of 97 houses were raided for drugs and 202 units of heroine, 1 325 packets of tik, 184 mandrax tablets and about 1 326g of dagga were confiscated.
“Police confiscated two firearms and various amounts of ammunition,” Lieutenant Ian Williams of Mitchell’s Plain police, said.
* On Sunday April 17, police arrested a Somali man, aged 26, in Ironwood Street, Eastridge, for possession of a prohibited firearm and ammunition and attempted murder.
“The serial numbers of the firearm were filed off,” Lieutenant Williams said.
“The complainant alleged that he was at the tuck shop but the shop owner did not want to render services to him but instead took out a firearm and pointed it at him. The complainant grabbed the firearm and a shot went off but did not injure anyone,” he said.
A 9mm Taurus with magazine and nine 9mm rounds were confiscated.
* Police confiscated about 343 litres of liquor from a home in Tafelsig on Friday April 15, after a tip-off that the house was operating as an illegal shebeen.
“A 50-year-old man was charged for dealing in liquor without a licence,” Lieutenant Williams said.
* Also on Friday, at about 4.40pm, Mitchell’s Plain police arrested a 15-year-old boy for murder in Tafelsig.
“Police received a complaint of a stabbing that took place at the corner of Bokkeveld and Houwhoek streets. Allegedly, the victim, a 15-year-old boy was riding a bicycle with a friend when the suspect approached them and stabbed the victim in the chest.”
The boy died on the way to the hospital.
“The motive was robbery,” Lieutenant Williams said. “The victim was not a gangster.”
* Police are looking for Dean Daniels, formerly of Olive Street and Buffalo Road, Eastridge, in connection with a case of attempted murder.
A 29-year-old man was shot in his left side and left shoulder in Malan Street, Eastridge, on Wednesday April 13.
“Allegedly the victim was walking in the road when the suspect approached him. The suspect pulled out a firearm and shot him. The victim was taken to hospital for medical treatment,” Lieutenant Williams said.
Anyone with information about Mr Daniels’ whereabouts is asked to call Detective Constable. Randall Davids on 082 777 8256.
* On Monday April 11, police patrolling in Lagonda Street, Beacon Valley, arrested a 22-year-old man for possession of unlicenced firearm. A Z88 Parabellum pistol, which had been stolen in Kuils River in 2001, with 8mm rounds was confiscated.