DPSA, whose slogan is “Nothing about us without us”, counts among its achievements as a direct result of their advocacy:
* The SA Constitution outlawing discrimination against people on the grounds of disability.
* That disability is no longer seen as a charity/welfare issue, but as a human rights and development issue.
* The establishment of an Office on the Status of Disability with the responsibility of implementing the Integrated National Disability Strategy.
* The placing of disabled people in key commissions established by the government as part of the transformation process, for example Human Rights, Gender, Youth, Special Needs Education and Public Service Commissions.
* The representation of disabled people on the Boards of South African Tourism, the National Skills Authority, the NTSIKA Enterprise Development Promotion Agency, the South African Qualifications Authority, the National Board for Further Education and Training and the SABC.