City urges vulnerable people to use indigent aid

The City of Cape Town tabled its draft budget for public comment on Wednesday March 28.

With it comes a strong call by the City encouraging the most vulnerable in society to make use of the indigent relief hand-ups that are on offer.

The proposed total cost of the social package for the new financial year amounts to just under R3 billion. This includes some R1.47 billion for indigent relief and approximately R1.49 billion in rates rebates.

The City’s mayoral committee member for finance, Johan van der Merwe, said the City’s indigent support policies were for the “most vulnerable and poverty-stricken residents”.

He said: “We urge all of our residents who require and qualify for support to contact us. Indigent grants and benefits can really make a big difference to the living conditions of an individual and their household. This is a hand-up, not a hand-out. Indigent support packages can empower our more vulnerable residents. If it is an opportunity for which you qualify, do not miss out.”

The City is embarking on a campaign to encourage more potential indigent beneficiaries to apply and see if they qualify for this assistance. The indigent grant is available to South African residents and homeowners with a total household income of R6 000 or less. You can visit your nearest municipal walk-in centre and complete an application to be eligible for the benefits.

You will need: proof of identification (ID book/card), a bank statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that you do not have a bank account, a bond statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that you do not have a bond account, and a copy of the estate documents if you have inherited your house.

If you are employed, also include: latest salary slip or a letter from an employer stating your income, if you are self-employed, a sworn affidavit stating how much you earn a month or proof of receiving a social grant.

If you are unemployed, also include the following in your application: a sworn affidavit stating that you are unemployed, and a sworn affidavit stating that you have no other source of income.

Visit for more information.