City barricades broken road

The barriers at Fishermans Lane at Strandfontein Pavillion.

After five years of highlighting safety concerns about Fisherman’s Lane at Strandfontein Pavillion deteriorating, the City of Cape Town has finally erected barricades for the second time this year.

The road referred to by locals as the “broken road” has become even more damaged since the Plainsman reported on the matter in January.

Therearenowthreemassive holes ranging from 40 to 50 metres in width, one in front of the parking area and near to the tidal pool at the Pavillion (“Residents in a rage about road,” Plainsman October 11).

According to the City of Cape Town, temporary barriers were positioned on Thursday October 26.

In January, the City erected barricades, but according to residents and fishermen it was removed about two months after.

Eddie Andrews, mayoral committee member for area south said the barriers would be in place indefinitely until the area was made safe for visitors again.

Speaking about the future plans for the road, Mr Andrews said a project manager had been assigned to investigate remedial action, and a report on Fisherman’s Lane was submitted to the City’s Coastal Transversal Working Group in October following the site visit to the area on Friday October 20.

“This report will be updated and escalated for senior management’s review. The area will be redeveloped once a design is finalised and agreed upon and budget is available to do so. It is difficult to provide timelines on this project because significant budget must be secured and the decision-making body will advise on a public engagement process that may delay the work slightly,” he said.

Strandfontein resident, Mario Oostendurp, from the Proudly Strandfontein civic organisation said that the City should have released a report by month end on the proposal for that area but nothing had happened.

In January, the Plainsman enquired about the road, and Anda Ntsodo, mayoral committee member for community services said the City planned to present three design proposals for the area for public comment later this year.

“An in-house landscape architect was assigned to this project, and a draft design for the rehabilitation of the area was drawn up. The draft design includes the removal of the existing broken road and the installation of a much-improved recreational area with a boardwalk and viewing decks or piers jutting into the sea for fishing access. The draft design will include specific aspects such as the length of the boardwalks and viewing decks or piers, the distance to set infrastructure back from oncoming wave action and the optimum path for vehicular access into the area,” he said.

In September last year, Mr Oostendurp ran an online petition where close to 200 people signed asking the City to speed up the Fisherman’s Lane.

Speaking about the recent barriers he said: “Why do we need to remind the City that safety measures are needed at the site.

“This will not be allowed in the more affluent areas of Cape Town.